Confused About Your Next Career Step? 5 Action Steps To Take Today To Get Unstuck and Find More Purpose
I work with many early – mid corporate professionals who’ve been in the same job for years who are unhappy and unfulfilled and stuck.
It’s a common complaint, which sits on the surface.
When I dig deeper and ask what’s the difference they’re making in their job, many don’t know or can’t see or haven’t thought about it.
Finding purpose in the work you do every day is one of the keys to finding happiness in work and life.
I had a conversation recently with someone working in high luxury jewelry who said he “just fell into” many years ago.
At first, it was an exciting opportunity and checked a lot of boxes. He helped rebuild the company after bankruptcy, he was jet setting to various places around the world and earning a high salary, but eventually, the shine wore off.
He realized that selling jewelry to the top 1% left him feeling empty. The environment, industry and team had become toxic.
The impact it’s having on him now is high stress and constant worry. This often it bleeds into his weekend because he’s always tied to his phone, which affects his family time.
He finally awoke to a desire to make a career change. He wants to figure out how to use his skills, strengths and experience to make a difference where it really matters.
The problem is he’s confused about his next career step. He’s dealing with mental roadblocks and confidence issues. He looks on job boards, but can’t find anything that fires him up, so he starts applying for similar jobs, but he gets very few responses. He’s stuck.
It’s easy to get stuck in the groove of firing off resumes to get out of one bad situation. It’s sometimes easier to stay. And before you know it, years go by and you are still stuck in the same mental loops. Does this sound too familiar?
Before blasting off resumes, take a step back, dig a little deeper and think about what it is you really want in your future.
- Think about the bigger impact you’d like to make through your work. Would it be to work with an animal rescue to find homes for stays or align with an ad agency who focuses on social causes or a health tech start up saving lives?
- Know your top 3 favorite skills and how you can apply those into other industries and job roles.
- Dig into your past professional experience and figure out how your experience sets you apart from other professionals in the workforce.
- Come up with a list of 5 dream companies, non profits, causes where you’d like to apply your skills and experience. Find them on Linkedin, look for opportunities and start making connections.
- Watch this free Masterclass “How To Land A Dream Job With Purpose Even If Your Soul Sucking Job Eats Up Your Monday Through Friday”.
I’d love to hear the after effects of your actions, please share in the comment section below and join The Purpose Driven Career Facebook group to get support and build community with other like-minded professionals like yourself!
P.S. And, whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you get unstuck and grow your purpose driven career:
- Watch a free Masterclass: Clarify the fastest path to land a more fulfilling and purposeful career & beyond. Identify any limiting beliefs and self sabotage patterns so that you start creating an inspiring vision of your future dream career plus learn how to implement the 4-step game plan our clients are using to create a career that they actually look forward to everyday and a solid plan to achieve it. Watch the free Masterclass right here >>> Click Here
- Download my “Purpose Driven Career Quiz” workbook If you’re struggling to figure out what you want to do next career-wise, then download my new workbook “Purpose Driven Career Quiz” to see just how far (or how close!) you are to landing a purpose driven career! >>> Click Here
- Join our FREE Purpose Driven Careers Facebook Group and connect with other driven professionals who are learning how to make the impact, earn the income, and create the freedom they desire in their life and career >>> Click Here
- Work with me privately If you’d like to work directly with me to build a career of your dreams… just schedule your complimentary Career Strategy Breakthrough Call with me so we can clarify your fastest path to finding and landing your dream role and create a strategy for you to make it happen… Apply for your FREE call with me here >>> Click Here To Apply