12/05/2020 by Kori Burkholder
How Knowing Your Life Purpose Can Impact Your Next Career Move
I had a phone call with an early career professional woman in the same office job for a few years.
She says she feels in limbo, just there for the paycheck, and at the end of every day, she feels unfulfilled and purposeless.
I asked her what was stopping her from finding her dream job, and she said that she needed to figure out her skills and start with zero ideas for what she wanted to do next.
The problem here is that she has no idea what she wants to do, so figuring out her skillset is not the best use of her time right now.
Before we do that, we’ve got to go deeper, much deeper!
She needs to understand who she is at the core and identify her life purpose.
Think that sounds too woo-woo? Hold on, let me explain.
Discovering your life purpose will help navigate and steer the ship towards a more fulfilling life and career.
I'm inspired recently by the book written by Richard J. Leider called The Power of Purpose: Creating Meaning In Your Life and Work, and he says,” purpose has a way of ordering time and energies around itself; that is the real power behind purpose! It often involves refocusing our work to bring out our talents and full potential”.
Your life purpose is about who you are, not what you do. It’s your reason for being and the impact you have on others' lives and the world you live in.
Getting clear about your life purpose can be a powerful guide and driver toward what you want from your work life.
And it can raise the stakes considerably and make you feel very powerful and committed to living your life on purpose.
When you understand your life purpose, you are drawn to careers that match your purpose and values and your favorite skills, strengths, and experience.
Think about it like a pyramid. Your Life Purpose and Values are the foundation, and then you start building upwards from there. Your Ideal Life and Career are built upon:
- Purpose & Values
- Interests and Passions
- Favorite Skills & Professional Strengths & Professional Experience
- Ideal Working Day
- Ideal Work Organization & Environment
Equals Your Ideal Life and Career
Going about it this way, you will avoid making the wrong career choice (again). In addition, it wipes away doubts because you’re building a life and career build upon this strong foundation.
This is how you build a purpose-driven career, my friend! It just takes some deep inner work to get to the clarity, and once you have the clarity, you can build the plan to get you there!
Here are a few prompts to get you thinking about your life purpose:
- If I won the lottery today, how would I choose to spend my time?
- What gets me out of bed in the morning?
- What kind of legacy do I want to leave behind?
- What do others often say about me?
Watch this video for more tips. In my example in the video, I explain how I’ve built my career around my life purpose statement, which is helping people turn their dreams into a reality. I do that in my career coaching, and I do that in all of my creative endeavors. That’s what gets me up and out of bed in the morning.
So the question for you now is: What gets you out of bed in the morning?
P.S. And, whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you get unstuck and grow your purpose-driven career:
1. Watch a free Masterclass: Clarify the fastest path to land a more fulfilling and purposeful career & beyond. Identify any limiting beliefs and self-sabotage patterns so that you start creating an inspiring vision of your future dream career. Learn how to implement the 4-step game plan our clients are using to develop a job that they look forward to every day and a solid plan to achieve it. Watch the free Masterclass right here>>> Click Here
2. Download my “Purpose Driven Career Quiz” workbook: If you’re struggling to figure out what you want to do next career-wise, then download my new workbook “Purpose Driven Career Quiz” to see just how far (or how close!) you are to landing a purpose-driven career!>>> Click Here
3. Join our FREE Purpose-Driven Careers Facebook Group and connect with other driven professionals learning how to make an impact, earn income, and create the freedom they desire in their life and career>>>. Click Here
4. Work with me privately: If you’d like to work directly with me to build a career of your dreams… schedule your complimentary Career Strategy Breakthrough Call with me so we can clarify your fastest path to finding and landing your dream role and create a strategy for you to make it happen… Apply for your FREE call with me here>>> Click Here To Apply