12/05/2020 by Kori Burkholder 0 Comments
How Knowing Your Life Purpose Can Impact Your Next Career Move
How knowing your life purpose can impact your next career move
I had a phone call with an early career professional woman who’s been in the same office job for a few years.
She says she feels like she’s in limbo, she’s just there for the paycheck and at the end of every day she feels unfulfilled and purpose less.
I asked her what’s stopping her from finding her dream job and she said that she needs to figure out her skills and she’s starting off with zero ideas for what she wants to do next.
The problem here is that she has no idea what she wants to do so figuring out her skillset is not the best use of her time right now.
Before we do that we’ve got to go deeper, much deeper!
She needs to understand who she is at the core and identify her life purpose.
Think that sounds too woo-woo? Hold on, let me explain.
Discovering your life purpose is going to help navigate and steer the ship towards a more fulfilling life and career.
I’ve been inspired by a book recently written by Richard J. Leider called The Power of Purpose: Creating Meaning In Your Life and Work and he says,”purpose has a way of ordering time and energies around itself; that is the real power behind purpose! It often involves refocusing our work in order to bring out our talents and full potential”.
Your life purpose is about who you are, not what you do. It’s your reason for being and the impact you are having in others lives and on the world you live in.
Getting clear about your life purpose can be a powerful guide and driver towards what you really want from your work life.
And it can raise the stakes considerably and make you feel very powerful and committed to living your life on purpose.
When you understand your life purpose you’re going to be drawn to careers that match your purpose and values and THEN around your favorite skills, strengths and experience.
Think about it like a pyramid. Your Life Purpose and Values are the foundation and then you start building upwards from there. Your Ideal Life and Career is built upon:
- Ideal Organization & Environment
- Ideal Working Day
- Professional Experience
- Favorite Skills & Professional Strengths
- Interests and Passions
Life Purpose and Values
Going about it this way you are going to avoid making the wrong career choice (again). It wipes away doubts because you’re building a life and career build upon this strong foundation
This is how you build a purpose driven career, my friend! It just takes some deep inner work to get to the clarity and once you have clarity you can build the plan to get you there!
Here are a few prompts to get you thinking about your life purpose:
- If I won the lottery today, how would I choose to spend my time?
- What gets me out of bed in the morning?
- What kind of legacy do I want to leave behind?
- What do others often say about me?
Watch this video for more tips. In my example in the video, I explain how I’ve built my career around my life purpose statement which is helping people turn their dreams into a reality. I do that in my career coaching and I do that in all of my creative endeavors. That’s what gets me up and out of bed in the morning! The question for you now is: What gets you out of bed in the morning?
P.S. And, whenever you’re ready… here are 4 ways we can help you get unstuck and grow your purpose driven career:
1. Watch a free Masterclass: Clarify the fastest path to land a more fulfilling and purposeful career & beyond. Identify any limiting beliefs and self sabotage patterns so that you start creating an inspiring vision of your future dream career plus learn how to implement the 4-step game plan our clients are using to create a career that they actually look forward to everyday and a solid plan to achieve it. Watch the free Masterclass right here>>> Click Here
2. Download my “Purpose Driven Career Quiz” workbook: If you’re struggling to figure out what you want to do next career-wise, then download my new workbook “Purpose Driven Career Quiz” to see just how far (or how close!) you are to landing a purpose driven career!>>> Click Here
3. Join our FREE Purpose Driven Careers Facebook Group and connect with other driven professionals who are learning how to make the impact, earn the income, and create the freedom they desire in their life and career>>> Click Here
4. Work with me privately: If you’d like to work directly with me to build a career of your dreams… just schedule your complimentary Career Strategy Breakthrough Call with me so we can clarify your fastest path to finding and landing your dream role and create a strategy for you to make it happen… Apply for your FREE call with me here>>> Click Here To Apply