07/15/2020 by Kori Burkholder
Let’s Talk About Career Weaknesses
For most of my career, I successfully dodged numbers and analytics. However, I had always known this was an area I needed to improve on. I took Omniture and Google analytics classes and thought I had an ok grasp on it until I landed a promotion as the Head of Music for a mobile entertainment company.
One day, I got called into the President’s office because my boss was out on vacation, and he needed to see data for a particular campaign with specific numbers. I didn’t know what he was talking about or how to get that data.
I stood in his office staring at him like a deer caught in headlights, and I could feel the sweat dripping down my face. I was alone with no one to back me up. It sounded to me as if he was speaking in a foreign language. This was on a Friday afternoon, and he told me he needed to have the answer by Monday morning.
Luckily, we had an analytics team who was able to walk me through the basics and the numbers and data that he was looking for. Then, the analytics team put a sophisticated report together, and they were able to walk me through it and share what the data represented.
The answer wasn’t good in this particular case, but luckily, that wasn’t my fault! But, from there, I understood it and could make recommendations for improving our marketing campaigns.
The important lessons I learned from that experiences were to:
1) understand the basics
2) understand the bigger picture and WHY we needed those specific numbers
3) not be afraid to ask questions and for support to be better at my job.
This is also great to think about because if you’re in the process of interviewing, this is a VERY common question. Therefore, it’s essential to share the weakness, how you overcame it, and recognize the areas where you need to upgrade your skills and how you’re taking steps to address them.
What is your greatest weakness, and how have you overcome it, or how are you dealing with it now? Please leave a comment and share your wisdom!
P.S. And, whenever you’re ready… here are four ways we can help you get unstuck and grow your purpose-driven career:
- Watch a free Masterclass: Clarify the fastest path to land a more fulfilling and purposeful career & beyond. Identify any limiting beliefs and self-sabotage patterns so that you start creating an inspiring vision of your future dream career, plus learn how to implement the 4-step game plan our clients are using to develop a career that they look forward to every day and a solid plan to achieve it. Watch the free Masterclass right here>>> Click Here
- Download my "Purpose Driven Career Quiz" workbook: f you’re struggling to figure out what you want to do next career-wise, then download my new workbook "Purpose Driven Career Quiz" to see just how far (or how close!) you are to landing a purpose-driven career!>>> Click Here
- Join our FREE Purpose-Driven Careers Facebook Group and connect with other driven professionals who are learning how to make an impact, earn the income, and create the freedom they desire in their life and career>>> Click Here
- Work with me privately. If you’d like to work directly with me to build a career of your dreams… just schedule your complimentary Career Strategy Breakthrough Call with me so we can clarify your fastest path to finding and landing your dream role and create a strategy for you to make it happen… Apply for your FREE call with me here>>> Click Here To Apply